Tachoschan Ltd 


You cannot operate a goods vehicle exceeding 3.5 tons without an Operators Licence. 
There are three types of licence: 
Restricted (R) 
Standard National (SN) 
Standard International (SI) 


You need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if your business uses goods vehicles above a certain weight. You need a licence to carry goods in a lorry, van or other vehicle with either: 
a gross plated weight (the maximum weight that the vehicle can have at any one time) of over 3,500 kilograms (kg) 
unladen weight of more than 1,525 kg (where there is no plated weight) 
There are 3 different types of licence - what you need depends on the work you do. You must also make sure that any drivers you use or employ have the correct licence and training.  
All vehicles that you use should be correctly taxed and kept safe and in good condition at all times. Some goods vehicles don’t need an operator’s licence – if you suspect you may be exempt but unsure, please call us on 01449678767. 


You’ll need a goods vehicle operator’s licence for a motor vehicle and trailer combination if: 
The motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated and the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3,500 kg 
The total unladen weight of the vehicle and trailer combination is more than 1,525 kg 
You don’t need an operator’s licence if your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg and you only carry your own goods. 


You’ll need a standard licence if you’re carrying other people’s goods for hire or reward (eg working as a courier or freight transport business) and the vehicle and trailer combination exceeds the weight limits above for a single vehicle. 
a. Standard national licence 
This licence means you can carry: 
Your own goods in the UK and internationally 
Other people’s goods in the UK 
You can also take loaded trailers to or from ports within the UK as part of an international journey, as long as your vehicles don’t leave the country. 
b. Standard international licence 
This licence means you can carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.  
When you get a standard international licence, you can also request the issue of Community Licences. These allow: 
Trips between all EU member countries 
Transit traffic through EU member countries 
Cabotage (journeys entirely within another EU member country) 
c. Restricted licence 
This licence allows you to carry your own goods, but not other people’s goods. Your licence will continue to be valid as long as you pay your continuation fee every 5 years and operate within the terms of your licence. You’ll be contacted every 5 years to make sure that your licence shows the correct information. 


The goods vehicle operator licensing scheme is administered by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) on behalf of the traffic commissioners. 


Apply for your goods vehicle operator’s licence at least 9 weeks before you want to start operating, to allow time for your application to be processed. 
You will also need to: 
advertise your application for a licence 
advertise your proposed operating centre(s) 
designate a transport manager if you’re applying for a standard licence 
provide information about your financial situation 
draw up a maintenance contract with a garage or agent to do safety inspections and repair vehicles if you don’t do this yourself 
You’ll have to pay a fee to apply for a licence. 


Once you have a goods vehicle operator’s licence, you may need to change certain details held on it. 
Add more vehicles (up to your limit) 
Change operating centre details or increase your vehicle limit 
Use more vehicles than your authorisation currently allows 
Change your operating centre 
Add a new operating centre 
Change transport manager details or type of licence 
Upgrade your type of licence 
Change your nominated transport manager 
Add a transport manager to a licence 
Change your correspondence or office address 
Surrendering your licence 
If you would like us to assist with your o’licence application/changes to your licence. 
Click here to email us or Call us on 01206 848425 alternatively fill in the form at the bottom of the page. 


The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency carries out regular roadside vehicle checks and checks on operating centres. They then submit information to the independent traffic commissioners. 
Your vehicle may be prohibited or immobilised if a DVSA roadside check finds that: 
It’s been overloaded 
It’s unroadworthy 
It breaks the rules on the transport of dangerous goods 
A driver has broken drivers’ hours regulations 
Your licence could be taken away, suspended or restricted by the traffic commissioner if you: 
Break any of the terms or conditions of your licence 
Don’t meet health and safety conditions 
Are convicted of certain offences 
Are made bankrupt or (if the licence holder is a company) that company goes into liquidation, administration or receivership 
Use a place not listed on the licence as an operating centre 
Are given a prohibition notice by DVSA following an inspection 
The traffic commissioner may decide to call you to a public inquiry to consider if any action against your licence is necessary. 


Complete this form to find out more about applying for an operators licence. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings